Skip to main content

Colonsay, Sunday

On Sunday morning, we drove over to the island's west coast (takes about five minutes), to walk across to the beaches of Ardskenish.  We parked by the airfield (yes, you can fly into Colonsay, if your aircraft is small enough) and walked across one or two of the golf links' greens.  I have never played a game of golf in my life, but even I can appreciate the challenge of putting on these greens, negotiating the strong winds, rabbit and sheep poo, the broken limpet shells, indentations from cows' hooves, worm casts, and other bits of debris which have worked their way up from the beach. Bravo for those who rise to the challenge and triumph!  Actually, their website is worth a read http://www.colonsay.org.uk/Things-to-Do/Golf
One of things I love most about these wild, far flung coastal shores are the colours.  When the sun shines, the sea is sapphire blue.  On grey days or in more gentle sunshine, the colours soften and soothe the soul.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!