Skip to main content

The bees knees

We visited the Queen Victoria Market today.  As always, it was full of good stuff - fresh meat, seafood, fruit, vegetables and herbs.  I love all the deli shops too, but my favourite is the honey shop.  
I bought two lovely jars of honey.  One is a delicious floral honey from a mix of orange blossom and blackberry flowers.  
The second one is extraordinary.  It comes from the flowers of wild grasses, just a small patch growing near Bendigo.  The bee keeper managed to fill 44 jars this summer, and look at the detail on the label, particularly the 'before before' date, because, of course, honey keeps for ever!  This one is rich and dark, and tastes almost like a caramel syrup.  It's amazing honey, and I am delighted to have one of the 44 jars from this year's batch!
Melbourne's wonderful cook book shop, Books for Cooks, has moved across town and, sensibly, repositioned itself just across the road from all those wonderful fresh ingredients being sold in the market.
After the bookshop, we walked back through the other market stalls selling all the tourist fripperies.  My granddaughter wanted to buy a souvenir soft toy koala.  They were all pretty awful, until we found a lovely stall selling handmade puppets, which, although horribly expensive, were rather irresistible!  So Ozzie the koala is coming home with us!  You can see him lined up here, on the far right, with his other outback pals!
And then on to my favourite Melbourne cafe, Beatrix, in North Melbourne, where we had some lunch.  A good day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!