Skip to main content

Sky high!

I've been up one or two really tall buildings in my time.  The World Trade Centre in New York, on 1 January 1977, the Eiffel Tower, Blackpool Tower (not sure that one counts!!), and the ICC in Hong Kong, and today I notched up another.  The Eureka Skydeck in Melbourne, the southern hemisphere's highest observation deck, at 297 metres above ground.  

There wasn't a cloud in the sky today, so we decided to give it a go.  We whizzed up to the 88th floor in a matter of seconds, ears popping all the way.  The views from the top were breathtaking.  A bit like Google Earth for real.  There is an option to extend out in a small glass cube, with a glass bottom, which edges out a little way from the building.  I think not!  We were quite happy with the spectacular 360 degree views we had, out across Melbourne and beyond, over Port Philip Bay, and to the misty Dandenong Ranges in the far distance. 


Comments

  1. WOW...just fantastic. Well done to you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!!!! I felt rather dizzy just looking at your photos - there's no way I would dare go so high. I avoid lifts too as I can't stand being enclosed in a small space. And as for standing on that glass floor - Aaaaaarrrggghhhhhhh!
    Well done to you for doing it and managing to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few 'swaying' moments, but it was fine! The views were amazing, as you can see, and it is rather wonderful to have the city all laid out in front of you, like a map! Nothing quite beats the memory of the World Trade Center visit though! I'll never forget that. I've got one rather grainy Kodak photo of that visit at home somewhere! Must look it out. Pouring with rain in Melbourne today! Glad we took the opportunity the other day, while we had it. Melbourne weather is TOTALLY unreliable! A

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!