Skip to main content

Early morning walk again!

It has been ages since Tilly and I had an early morning walk.  I was so paranoid about coming across more young creatures - leverets, pheasant chicks, and anyone else who had just landed on the planet, that I stopped taking Tilly around the field margins.  Also, the grasses had grown so long that we could barely see the tracks.  However, I think that the youngsters are big enough to look after themselves now, so it was time for another early morning foray.

The light is beginning to change, the air was filled with the smell of chamomile, and the temperature was distinctly chilly.  It may be early August, but the barometer has shown no sign of rising.  The difference between our walks of several weeks ago, and today, was marked.  The seasons march on.
I don't know when it happened, but the feathery heads of false oat grass have turned straw-coloured.  I love the way the light shines through them.
These two beautiful hares were sitting close to the spot where Tilly found three leverets on their form, during our last walk in this field.  I have kept away since then, haunted by the memory.  This morning, there was a third hare which made a brief appearance, and then ran off into the wood, and I am hoping, no, I am praying, that these three are the little family we met before.  I am probably kidding myself about the third hare.  I would imagine Tilly may have frightened the wee thing to death, but miracles do happen, so I am hoping this might be one in operation!
I was interested to notice the distinct difference in the faces of these two hares.  The one on the left has almond shaped eyes.  I wonder if it is a female.  They are the most bewitching and beautiful creatures.
After a little while they realised we were there, and scampered away.
The plant below is the lesser burdock, Arctium minus, which becomes that pesky plant which attaches its seed head to you, as you merely brush past.  The wood is full of them, which is not surprising.  They have the most efficient way to broadcast their seeds!  The burdock is great friends with the dandelion, giving us a drink which has been popular since the Middle Ages!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!