Skip to main content

Bird fair

I went to Scotland's Big Nature Festival today, also known as the Scottish Bird Fair.
http://scottishbirdfair.org.uk  It was held in East Lothian this year, just outside Musselburgh.  

You could be forgiven for thinking that this buzzard had just dropped in to pose for the cameras, but of course he's had his day, no more soaring over the fields of East Lothian for him.  He's now well and truly stuffed - but still pretty magnificent!
The event was held under canvas on Levenhall Links, and it couldn't have been a better day.  The sun shone from dawn till dusk, and when I got there, just before 11 o'clock, the visitors were arriving in healthy numbers.  It delights me that people are so interested in wildlife.  The countryside needs every bit of interest and love it can get.
I love all the different stalls at these events.  I had a good chat with the lady on her basketmaking stand.  She works with willow and rushes, producing some lovely work.
The bushcraft tent and teepee were popular with children, all eager to learn how to make fire by rubbing sticks together!

There were all sorts of exhibitors, including artists - see below my friend and art tutor Kittie Jones, who I have mentioned before on the running wave (http://kittiejones.com)
and a wonderful second hand bookshop, which always attracts me like a magnet!
There were bird watching related exhibitors from overseas - below a group from Texas, another next door from Spain.  Stands exhibiting cameras, binoculars, telescopes, outdoor clothing, wildlife rescue and conservation groups.  Anything and everything to do with the countryside.
There was a tent dedicated to the East Lothian Countryside Ranger Service, which is the council department running the grassland surveying volunteer work I am involved with. 
 There was a spot of pond dipping,
and in the RSPB tent I made a little newspaper pot and filled it with compost and a selection of wild flower seeds, corn poppy, corn marigold, cornflower and mayweed, to grow in the garden!
There was a chap from the National Trust for Scotland, making sticks of charcoal - twigs of willow, stripped of their bark and placed inside a tin and 'cooked' on an open fire for a while.  I love charcoal.  It's one of my favourite things to draw with!

There were talks and demonstrations.  There was a queue a mile long to listen to Bill Oddie, so I had to pass on that, but the programme offered lots of really great stuff.  I hope the weather holds for tomorrow.  The organisers should go home tomorrow night, feeling pretty pleased with the whole event.

On the way home I visited one of my favourite garden nurseries, Macplants, at the gloriously named hamlet of Bogg's Holdings.  It's a proper nursery, where they grown lovely things themselves.  They were busy getting stuff ready for next week's big Gardening Scotland exhibition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!